EPA and DHA to support cardiovascular and brain health
• Helps to reduce serum triglycerides in adults
• Supports cognitive health and brain function
• Provides 990 mg of EPA and 630 mg DHA per daily dose
SEP EFA is a blend of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that helps support cardiovascular health. Research indicates that EPA and DHA decrease triglycerides by altering gene expression in the liver; they lower fat production by increasing fatty acid metabolism through PPARα stimulation.1,2 This decrease in triglycerides leads to a reduction in very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol production, molecules that transport lipids throughout the body.2,3 In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 60 hyperlipidemic adults, 3 weeks of daily supplementation with 1.4 g total of EPA and DHA significantly lowered serum triglycerides by approximately 20% when compared to baseline values.4 DHA is also the most abundant omega-3 fatty acid in the brain: supplementation with fish oils has been associated with the maintenance of neuron function in the hippocampus, a region of the brain associated with memory.5 In 36 elderly adults with mild cognitive impairment, daily supplementation with 1.75 g of DHA and EPA for 12 months led to significant increases in short-term and working memory.6
1. Davidson, MH. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2006; 98(4A): 27i-33i.
2. Ikeda, I, Konno, R, Shimizu, T, Ide, T, Takahashi, N, Kawada, T, Nagao, K, Inoue, N, Yanagita, T, Hamada, T, Morinaga, Y, Tomoyori, H, Imaizumi, K, Suzuki, K. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2006; 1760: 800–807.
3. Estronca, LMBB, Filipe, HAL, Salvador, A, Moreno, AJ, Vaz, WLC. Journal of Lipid Research. 2014; 55: 1033-1043.
4. Micallef, MA, Garg, ML. The Journal of Nutrition. 2008; 138: 1086–1090.
5. Cederholm, T, Salem, NJ, Palmblad, J.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4(6): 672–676.
6. Lee, LK, Shahar, S, Chin, AV, Yusoff, NAM. Psychopharmacology. 2013; 225(3): 605-612.