Plant derived omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for the maintenance of good health
• Provides 3300 mg of ALA per daily dose
• Includes 900 mg of LA per daily dose
Perilla oil is derived from perilla, an herb from the mint family.1 It is naturally high in the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, and also contains the omega-6 fatty acid LA.1 Research suggests that combined supplementation with both omega-3 and 6 fatty acids may synergistically help maintain optimal skin health.2 Fatty acids are necessary for the proper structure and function of the skin, including the protection against environmental factors and the loss of electrolytes and water.3 Supplementation with essential fatty acids can alter the production of eicosanoid signalling molecules in the skin, and metabolites of LA may mediate the activity of collagen producing cells in the skin.3 ALA further contributes to maintaining optimal health through its role in maintaining platelet and endothelial cell function.4 Research suggests at least 3 g of perilla oil daily is required to obtain its beneficial health effects.1
1. Asif, M. Orient Pharm Exp Med. 2011; 11: 51–59.
2. Aragona, P, Bucolo, C, Spinella, R, Giuffrida, S, Ferreri, G. IOVS. 2005; 46(12): 4474-4479.
3. Nicolaou, A. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 2013; 88: 131–138.
4. Stark, AH, Crawford, MA, Reifen, R. Nutrition Reviews.2008; 66(6): 326–332.