Vegan-friendly vitamin B complex
• Helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins
• Helps normal growth and development
• Helps in tissue and red blood cell formation
• Includes all eight B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacinamide, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12 , biotin, pantothenic acid)
• Helps to reduce the risk of neural tube defects when taken daily prior to becoming pregnant and during early pregnancy
• Also provides inositol and choline
Orti B is a vitamin complex that includes all eight B vitamins, plus inositol and choline for the maintenance of good health. B vitamins help mediate hundreds of enzymatic reactions, including the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.1 Pantothenic acid is used for the formation of the key neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, while niacin, thiamine and biotin help to provide substrates for energy production in the Krebs cycle.1 Riboflavin is necessary to activate the coenzyme forms of folate and vitamin B6, which are involved in DNA synthesis and the metabolism of amino acids, respectively.1 Folate requirements increase during pregnancy as a result of the rise in cell division and metabolism required for placental and fetal development; however, approximately 20% of women of childbearing age do not meet the required folate intake for pregnancy.2 Supplements are the most effective methods of raising folate status.2 Daily supplementation with 400 mcg of folic acid before or during early pregnancy helps to decrease the risk of neural tube defects by 50%.3 Folic acid and vitamin B12 also help mediate red blood cell formation.1 Vegan diets tend to provide low levels of vitamin B12, and malabsorption of the vitamin from food, but not supplements, increases with age.
1. Combs, GF. (2012). The Vitamins (4th ed.). USA: Elsevier.
2. Lamers, Y. Ann Nutr Metab. 2011; 59(1): 32-7.
3. Osterhues, A, Ali, NS, Michels, KB. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2013; 53: 1180-1190.
4. Allen, LH. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89(suppl): 693S-696S.