Magnesium in a convenient vegetable capsule format
• Provides 400 mg of magnesium per daily dose
• Helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins
• Helps in the maintenance of bones and teeth
• Helps in tissue formation and in the maintenance of proper muscle function
Each Magnesium capsule provides 100 mg of magnesium in the form of citrate, to help support macronutrient metabolism, bone health, and muscle function. Magnesium plays an essential role in both muscle contraction and relaxation, and may help in the maintenance of muscle function in physically active older individuals. Older adults, especially women, tend to have lower magnesium dietary intake and absorption rates.1,2 In the first clinical trial to assess magnesium’s impact on muscle performance in the elderly, daily supplementation with magnesium for 12 weeks significantly improved physical performance. One hundred and thirty nine healthy, physically active women aged 65+ were randomized to receive either placebo or 300 mg of elemental magnesium from magnesium oxide. Following supplementation, participants in the magnesium group had clinically relevant improvements in walking speed, with an average increase of 12 metres per minute. Walking speed is typically used as an independent variable for the diagnosis of age-related muscle loss. Chair stand test scores were also significantly improved, indicating enhanced lower limb strength and balance.3
1. Barbagallo M, Belvedere M, Dominguez LJ. Magnes Res. 2009; 22: 235-246.
2. Rude RK, Singer FR, Gruber HE. J Am Coll Nutr 2009; 28: 131-41.
3. Veronese N, Berton L, Carraro S, Bolzetta F, De Rui M, Perissinotto E, Tofanello ED. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014; 100: 974-81.