EPA and DHA for the maintenance of good health
• Provides 150 mg of EPA and 66 mg of DHA per daily dose
• Provides 494 mg of phospholipids and 396 mcg of esterified astaxanthin per daily dose
Krill Oil is a blend of omega-3 fatty acids and astaxanthin that helps to maintain good health. The EPA and DHA in krill oil is primarily bound to phospholipids, which may increase their bioavailability in comparison with certain forms of fish oil supplements, due to improved intestinal transport.1,2 Krill naturally contains astaxanthin, which is the carotenoid antioxidant responsible for its red pigmentation.3 Supplementation of 1 g of krill oil (providing 200 mg of EPA and DHA) for 12 weeks better maintained overall health when compared to a placebo in a randomized trial involving 267 adults with borderline to high triglyceride levels.4 Recent research indicates that the unique combination of omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids, and astaxanthin in krill oil is a good alternative to fish oil.5
1. Barros, MP, Poppe, SC, Bondan, EF. Nutrients. 2014; 6: 1293-1317.
2. Schuchardt, JP, Schneider, I, Meyer, H, Neubronner, J, von Schacky, C, Hahn, A. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2011; 10:145.
3. Gammone, MA, Riccioni, G, D’Orazio, N. Food & Nutrition Research. 2015; 59: 26762.
4. Berge, K, Musa-Veloso, K, Harwood, M, Hoem, N, Burri, L. Nutrition Research. 2014; 34: 126-133.
5. Bunea, R, El Farrah, K, Deutsch, L. Alternative Medicine Review. 2004; 9(4): 420-428.