Active B6 Pyridoxal
Vitamin B6 in its most active form
• Helps in tissue formation
• Supports and maintains good health
• Helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates fats, and proteins
• Helps to prevent vitamin B6 deficiency
• Provides 50 mg of vitamin B6 per capsule
Active B6 Pyridoxal is a source of vitamin B6 in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate (PLP). As the most biologically active form of the vitamin, PLP helps to catalyze over
140 reactions.1 PLP is an important cofactor in: 1) fatty acid metabolism, including the production of important omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids; 2) carbohydrate metabolism, including the breakdown of glycogen into glucose; 3) amino acid metabolism, including neurotransmitter synthesis and the conversion of tryptophan into niacin.1 Vitamin B6 deficiency decreases niacin production and increases formation of the metabolite xanthurenic acid, which lowers insulin activity.2 Low levels of vitamin B6 also lead to increased synovial fluid between joints, which results in nerve compression.3
1. Mooney, S, Leuendorf, JE, Hendrickson, C, Hellmann, H. Molecules. 2009; 14: 329-351.
2. Oxenkrug, G. Mol Neurobiol. 2013; 48(2): 294-301.
3. Combs, GF. (2012). In The Vitamins (4th ed., pp. 309-323). Elsevier.